we get a lot of requests for lion's mane recipes, and this one is certainly one of our favorites! it takes advantage of the lion's mane's mild seafood-like qualities, but has the added advantage of being locally grown and vegetarian! it can be modified to fit a vegan diet, so feel free to play around with the ingredients to make it work for you! we made these cakes with a quick, lemony-garlic aioli that paired well with the cakes nicely, but it would go great with a greek yogurt topping as well. let us know how yours turns out!
serving: this recipe will feed 2-3 people for a light dinner.
* 1/2 pound (2 pints) lion's mane mushroom
* 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 tbs greek yogurt (mayonnaise or veganaise can be used as a substitute)
* 1 tsp soy sauce (or liquid amino acids)
* 1 cup bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup diced onion
* 1 egg (you can make this vegan by replacing this with a "flaxseed" egg)
* splash of white or red wine vinegar
* 2-3 tbs fresh chopped parsley
* 1 tsp smoked paprika
* lemon juice from 1/4 lemon
* 3-4 tbs coconut oil (or alternative) for cooking the cakes
* salt and pepper to taste
for a quick & easy aioli topping:
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
* dice or peel lion's mane mushroom into large pieces. toss in olive oil and roast in oven, with garlic at 350 degrees for 30-40 mins. turn halfway through. the mushroom will shrink substantially as the water cooks out. (note: to reduce time, you can saute on the stove-top at medium-high heat until crispy).
* when ready, put mushroom and garlic mixture in food processor and pulse 4-5 times until mix is broken down in smaller chunks.
*in a separate bowl mix together the egg, soy sauce, greek yogurt/mayo, lemon, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. use a whisk to evenly mix the wet ingredients. add breadcrumbs, onions, and pulsed mushroom mixture. *
* use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (depending on the desired size of the crab cakes) to measure equal portions of crab cakes. with your hands, form into cakes.
* heat coconut oil in non-stick pan on medium heat and fry until lightly browned on both sides.
* finish with a touch of sea salt. serve on top of a bed of seasonal greens.
* for aioli: mash garlic and ¼ tsp. salt in a small bowl until a paste forms. whisk in mayonnaise, oil, and lemon juice. season with salt and pepper. can be made a day in advance.